The History of Cape Town
Human communities had lived in the Cape Peninsula and Western
Cape long before the beginning of the Christian era, surviving
by hunting, fishing and gathering edible plants and roots. They
were the ancestors of the Khoisan peoples of modern times - the
Bushmen (San) and the Hottentot (Khoikhoi).
The Bushmen were hunter-gatherers who lived in small, loosely knit
groups of about 20 persons. They were highly mobile on account of
their dependence on game, and for the same reason widely dispersed
territorially. The Hottentot, in comparison, were mainly herders along
the Orange River, the boundary river between South Africa and Namibia,
and the coastal belt stretching from Namibia around Cape Point to
the Eastern Cape. Both groups were thought to have migrated southward,
ahead of the Bantu-speaking peoples whose ancestral home lay well
in the north.
Before the Dutch came to the
Cape, the Hottentot conducted trade with their Bantu-speaking neighbours
in cattle and dagga (marijuana) and, to a lesser extent, iron and
copper. After the arrival of men from Europe, they traded their
cattle for tobacco and began to act as brokers in developing trade
between the Europeans and the Xhosa tribes to the east.
The European advance eventually cost the Hottentot
their land, stock and trade. Twice defeated in battle in 1713 and
1755, and decimated by smallpox, they ultimately lost their identity
as a distinct cultural group and intermarried with slaves and others
to form the Cape Coloured people.
From the time of the first recorded discovery of the Cape, seafarers
looked forward to the sight of majestic Table Mountain, this unmistakable
beacon of promised hospitality along one of the busiest arteries
of world commerce. However, the sudden knowledge that the Cape existed
was not immediately followed by settlement.
In 1487, the Portuguese sailor Bartholomeus Dias set out to find
a sea route to the East. Sailing along the west coast of Africa,
his ships encountered a ferocious storm, which drove them out to
sea and away from the coast. Once the storm had passed they resumed
their journey in an easterly direction, expecting to reach the coast,
their guideline, again soon. After a number of days' sailing without
any sign of land, they changed direction and headed north, eventually
landing at the mouth of the Gouritz River on the east coast of Africa
on 3 February 1488. Dias and his crew were the first Europeans on
record to round the Cape, albeit unwittingly.
Antonio de Saldanha was the first European to land in Table Bay.
He climbed the mighty mountain in 1503 and named it 'Table Mountain'.
The great cross that the Portuguese navigator carved in the rock
of Lion's Head is still traceable.
It is widely believed that it was Dias who named the peninsula Cabo
Tormentosa (Cape of Storms). This name was later changed to Cabo
da Boa Esperanca (Cape of Good Hope) to signify that the rounding
of the Cape brought hope that a sea route to the East was possible.
Fully ten years later, Vasco Da Gama completed the sea route from
Portugal around the Cape to India, thus finally opening up the trade
route between Europe and the East.
Jan Van Riebeeck
In 1652 the Dutch East India Company, yielding to repeated petitions
and recommendations from their ships' officers, at last decided
to establish a post at Table Bay. They sent three small ships, the
Dromedaris, the Reijger and the Goede Hoop under the command of
23-year-old Jan Antony van Riebeeck to establish a stronghold on
the shores of Table Bay. Their objective was to grow vegetables
and fruit, barter for livestock with the Hottentot tribes and build
a hospital and a sanctuary for the repair of ships. Jan van Riebeeck's
first fort, subsequently replaced by the existing Castle of Good
Hope, was Cape Town's first building.
The seventeenth century was the Golden Age of the Dutch Republic.
Its merchants were the most successful businessmen in Europe; the
Dutch East India Company was the world's greatest trading corporation
and had sovereign rights in the East and the Cape of Good Hope,
and by mid-century was the dominant European maritime power in southeast
Asia. Its fleet, numbering some six thousand ships was manned by
perhaps 48 000 sailors.
Simon van der Stel
Simon van der Stel, who arrived as Governor in 1679, was destined
to exercise marked influence on the Colony for the next 20 years.
He enlarged and beautified van Riebeeck's garden and built a slave
lodge (today the Cultural History Museum) at the entrance. It was
during Simon van der Stel's governorship that the Huguenots, who
had been driven from France by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes,
arrived from Holland. There were some 200 of them, so small a number
that they were quickly absorbed in the Dutch population. The lands
given to Simon van der Stel by the Dutch East India Company, stretched
from Muizenberg to the Steenberg Mountains, right across to Wynberg.
He turned this vast region into rich farmland, planted some eight
thousand trees and designed and built the stateliest of the Cape's
historic mansions, Groot Constantia (named after his wife, Constance)
in 1685, where he lived until his death in 1712. Groot Constantia
remains one of the most favoured destinations for visiting tourists
to the Cape. The Estate gave its name to the Constantia area, and
its wines won the praise of even such connoisseurs as Kings of France.
Simon van der Stel is also the founder of Stellenbosch, Drakenstein
and Franschhoek, and is responsible for the construction of many
of the famous homesteads in the Cape. More farmers soon settled
in the Constantia area, along the little streams pretentiously named
the Spaanschemat and Diep Rivers and on the soils so well suited
to the vine. West of the mountains, Kronendal in the Hout Bay valley
was granted to another enterprising settler in 1681 and a wagon
road into the valley was opened over Constantia Nek twelve years
It is indeed fortunate that three men of outstanding architectural
talents were brought together at the Cape. Anton Anreith, a young
sculptor and woodcarver from Freiburg, arrived as a soldier in the
Company's service in 1777. Four years later Louis Michel Thibault,
a Parisian architect, appeared on the scene as an officer in the
In 1789 they were joined by Hermann Schutte, a young architect and
builder from Bremen. The trio settled at the Cape, and it is due
to their influence that the period of prosperity and building activity
in town and country, which marked the late 18th and early 19th century,
has left us such a rich heritage of architectural beauty.
During the war between Britain and Holland (1780-1783) a British
fleet sailed to take possession of the Cape, but was attacked and
disabled by the French. The French then landed two regiments at
the Cape to assist the Dutch in the defence of the Colony. Part
of the large hospital on the outskirts of town was assigned to them
as barracks. After 1795 the building was wholly occupied by troops
and in time the adjoining Ziekenstraat became more appropriately
known as Barrack Street, a name it still bears.
When the revolutionary armies of France invaded
Holland, William of Orange escaped to England and issued instructions
that the Cape should temporarily be handed over to the British for
protection against the French. Accordingly, in 1795, a British force
arrived at the Cape. The Dutch resisted and, after a brief battle
(the Battle of Muizenberg), retired before superior forces. The
change of authority brought with it other changes that many felt
were long overdue. Many of the monopolies and other restrictions
on trade, by which the Company had promoted its own pecuniary interests
at the expense of the colonists, were swept away. A large garrison
again provided a ready market for farm produce and thirsty patrons
for the houses that had already given Cape Town its reputation as
The Tavern of the Seas.
The British remained in possession until 1803,
when the Colony was relinquished to the Dutch by the terms of the
Treaty of Amiens. Within three months of the restoration of the
colony, war had again broken out between Britain and Holland. In
1806, a British fleet of sixty-one ships dropped anchor at Robben
Island and landed 6 000 troops at Blaauwberg. The Battle of Blaauwberg
followed and Dutch resistance crumbled. In 1814 the Cape Colony
was formally ceded to Britain by a convention under which Dutch
vessels were to remain entitled to resort freely to the Cape of
Good Hope for the purposes of refreshment and repairs.
In 1814, Lord Charles Somerset became Governor,
and the following year he inaugurated the first mail-packet service
between England and Cape Town. This was the beginning of the Union-Castle
Company's connection with South Africa. The Union and Castle lines
amalgamated in 1900.
Cape Town became a municipality in 1840. A liberal constitution
was granted to the Cape Colony in 1853 and the first elected Parliament
met on 30 June 1854. On 28 November 1872 a complete self-government
for the Cape Colony was promulgated by a proclamation of Sir Henry
Barkley, who laid the first foundation stone of the present Houses
of Parliament in 1875.
Pier - Year 1900
In the second half of the century the building
of railways, the opening of diamond and gold mines in the interior,
and all their manifold and far-reaching economic consequences added
enormously to the commercial importance of Cape Town. The sleepy
settlement awoke and began to grow as never before. A railway was
completed to Stellenbosch and Wellington in 1863. The discovery
of diamonds in Griqualand West a few years later demanded its extension
to the distant diamond fields. In 1885 it had barely reached Kimberley
when the Witwatersrand goldfields presented a still more distant
goal. Within the next decade the opening of gold mines in Southern
Rhodesia lured the railhead still farther northward. Cape Town was
transformed within a generation from a roadstead on Table Bay, to
one of the major ports serving a rapidly developing sub-continent.
During the mid 19th century, harbour improvements were urgently
needed. The port in Table Bay possessed only four jetties, and recurrent
wrecks in the bay were grim reminders of its exposure to north-westerly
gales. The storms of 1857 and 1865 accounted for 24 shipwrecks off
the Cape coast. The work was started in 1860 and was completed in
1870 when the Alfred Dock was inaugurated by Prince Alfred. Completion
of the Robinson Graving Dock twelve years later equipped the port
to repair the largest vessels of the time, and the extension of
the harbour works to form the outer Victoria Basin by the end of
the century endowed Table Bay with a commodious modern harbour.
The waterfront became increasingly cluttered with a miscellaneous
collection of skin-drying, wool-processing, fish-smoking, soap making
and boat-building establishments.
War & Apartheid
South Africans fought alongside the Allies in both world wars, but
Afrikaner opposition to British support continued throughout. The
opponents of involvement were very much in the minority and whites
from both language groups volunteered in large numbers, as did those
of mixed descent. South Africans fought in German South West Africa
(now Namibia) during the First World War. Other areas of operation
were East Africa and western Europe where, at Delville Wood, 3152
South Africans held their positions against massive bombardment
and counter attack. 755 survived unwounded. During the Second World
War, South Africans again fought against the Nazis in East Africa,
in the Western Desert and in Europe, forging a path up the spine
of Italy in one of the toughest campaigns of the war.
The years between the forming of the Union in 1910
and the historical parliamentary election of 1948 witnessed the
growth of South Africa into a powerful industrial nation. The National
Party won its first election under the leadership of D. F. Malan
in 1948. Its rise to power marked the beginnings of the apartheid
era. For the first time Afrikaners were in the driving seat and
legal segregation on racial lines became the main thrust of policy.
Apartheid stunted the economic growth of the country.
The world shunned it and sanctions brought South Africa to its knees.
Cape Town suffered enormously as ships no longer docked at the port,
and instead, by-passed the Cape. Many Capetonians emigrated to other
parts of the world, taking with them the expertise so desperately
needed in a growing economy.
During the last decade, violence and bloodshed
have brought a nation to the turning-point of reconciliation. The
1994 election saw the inauguration of the first black State President,
Nelson Mandela, who headed a government of national unity.